~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Monday, June 10, 2013

Kick Line! (Mystery Photo #20) - Mystery Monday


(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Photograph and Text, Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette)  My grandmother, Antonina (Bulak) Szerejko, 1896-1990, was a long-time parishioner at St. Mary's Church (Our Lady of Czestochowa) in Worcester.  Apparently back in the early part of the twentieth century St. Mary's had tradition of holding parish picnics on the weekends.  I don't know for certain, but I suspect my grandparents probably met at one of these picnics.  My picnic photos are among the most fun photos in my collection!  They are mostly candids.  The pictures are all small and were likely taken with a Brownie camera. The novelty of the Brownie probably encouraged people to put on a show for the photographer.  I don't know exactly when this photograph was taken, but my best guess is the late 1910s, probably between 1916 and 1919.  I don't recognize any of the young men in this photo.  If you do I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment