~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Monday, July 22, 2013

Cute Little Kids (Mystery Photo #22) - Mystery Monday


(Digital Image.  Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Photograph and Text, Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette) My mom, Christine (Szerejko) Shenette, is the little girl on the left holding the doll.  I don't know who the other children are.  Friends from Worcester's Vernon Hill neighborhood? Cousins perhaps?  My guess is it's not a school photo, because I doubt my grandmother would let my mom take a doll to school.

Mom was born on 20 July 1921, and clearly the photo was taken in the warmer months.  I wonder if it was a birthday party, and maybe the doll was a present.  I'm just guessing, but my mom looks about six or seven years old in the photo which would date the photograph to about 1927 or 1928.  The building in the background is also interesting.  It doesn't look like a house with those bricks or that type of window.  I know my mom won a doll dress sewing contest at the Quinsigamond branch of the Worcester Public Library, but that doesn't explain all the boys. Maybe the photo was taken in front of the library or perhaps in front of the brick St. Mary's school building.

If your parents or grandparents were kids in the 1920s and grew up on Vernon Hill take a look at my photo, and maybe you will recognize someone you know.  Family names for possible cousin connections include Bulak, Bullock, Szerejko, or Kowalewski.

If you do recognize any of the children in this photo I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment